Thursday, August 27, 2009

OAHU DAY 1 - Up and about in Kailua

What a first day... early rise at 6.30am cause of the jet leg. Decided to head for a run and head to check out Kailua Beach. Had to ask around to a bunch of people for directions, and everybody was like... "good luck man!" ahaha.
At the end I made it there, its like a 20 min run if you know where to run! Once there, a kiter was already on the water on a 12m. Didn't look that good though. The beach is really nice, kinda lika Kanaha in Maui. A lot of people exercising and running on it. Then at the end of the beach I stood on the same exact spot where Robby Naish is talking at the beginning of his video, RIP. From there, the beach upwind is Lanikai, where the Twin Islands are. This beach is a bit better for snorkeling, as there is no shore break that stirs up the water.
It was great to run and swim after such a long flight and feeling so disoriented!

So I headed back home (running...), finding my way pretty easily. Found a bike, picked up my kite gear still packed up from the flight, and biked down to Kailua Beach again. Stopped by the really friendly guys @ KAILUA SAILBOARDS & KAYAKS for a screw diver and off I went kiting. It's a really nice rigging area on the grass. The beach is kinda crowded though.
As for the kiting, to be honest it wasn't so great. The wind was really light and up&down, plus really onshore. Also, riding bindings here is not really a smart idea, as the water is REALLY choppy and there are even some waves out on the reef. The majority of people is in fact riding monodirectional boards! Maybe that would have been fun...
I packed it up after maybe an hour or so, as conditions weren't too fun, and wanted to get done with some errands and food shopping before school starts.

Only problem...the bike tire got flat in the meantime and I had to walk back home carrying all the gear AND the bike. Good thing everything here in the US stays open late, so I was still in time to get all my things.

Afterwards, I went with Andrew, the landlady's son, and his friend to grab a quick bite in Honolulu and they showed me around really quick. We also drove by Waikiki, and, man...that place is a mess! A lot of people, a lot of shops, a lot of "gangstas" like in all the US cities, and a lot of hooookers haha. Right out in the Ocean though there a loooottt of surf breaks, which I've read on GP's blog.
Maybe I'll even head down there tomorrow, maybe by bus or...who knows!

Check out the pics of my roaming today in Kailua! Sorry no action, still getting acclimated here!

Cox

No comments: